BCE VOKL – Block 1 – Islamic Finance & Blockchains
As an actively enrolled citizen of the Blockchain Embassy of Asia (BCE)- I’ve had the chance to engage with the BCE in their first public event, VOKL where I shared my thoughts on the current Islamic Financial Architecture. In my last blog post, I have shared my thoughts on the future of Islamic Finance Rather than blockchains benefiting Islamic Finance, I believe that in truth, principles from the IGE (Islamic Gift Economy) could actually serve as a benefit to blockchains.
Since then, not only did the entire BCE (Blockchain Embassy) event committee dedicate their first publicly accessible session to the topic of Islamic Finance and blockchains, but a small group of those with the most interest have been meeting-up in the evenings and weekends to develop a series of smart contracts that fulfil the technicalities I’d only dreamed were possible.
What’s most interesting is that although I’ve never done any coding or developer work before, the so-called “semantics” of smart contracts can be quite easily understood. Working in the fintech industry myself, smart contracts to the best of my knowledge can be likened to a self-enforcing term sheet, or investment agreement. None of this would have been possible without the incredible commitment from the other volunteers (Talal Hussain from APU, Abdikan Warsame, Jamshid Khalilzad, from the IIUM) – as well as the ongoing participation of organizations such as Ata Plus, who generously hosted the first BCE VOKL event. Not to mention Neuroware for providing Solidity developers to help with the realization of the contracts, which myself, Mahamed Hagi, Zayan Yassin and Akmal Fikri have spent much debate conceiving.
Without that first VOKL event acting as a catalyst for collaboration, it would have been difficult to kick-start something quite as constructive. The event itself was a huge success – despite my anxiously delivered opening presentation that was used to set the tone and topic for the evening. I’m just glad it’s something I’m truly passionate and knowledgeable about – as I hope you can see from below:
Nonetheless, without the help of professionals such as Mohd Ridzuan Abdul Aziz (President of FAOM) and Dr Farrukh Habib (lead Islamic Fintech researcher at ISRA) who were leading the discussions within the hour-long panel that followed my opening presentation. Without them and their responses to the eager questions from the crowd – the evening would have been missing a much needed realistic voice from those directly working within this industry – rather than just my own, which is someone who has only studied it. Taking their considerations into mind, which includes the much need perspectives of regulation and compliance – as well as a knowing lack of universal standards, we’ve been able to make some interesting progress and are looking forward to sharing it with you in my next blog post.
- The Blockchain Embassy Application Programming Interface
- Islamic Finance : A Benefit For Blockchains?
- BCE VOKL – Block 1 – Exploring Islamic Finance and Blockchains
- Unveiling The Future Of Distributed Governance
- A Closer Look at the Future of Digital Immutable Identities
- The curious case of an Island named Yap
- Ditching Boardrooms for Distributed Governance
- Beeple Crashes MakersPlace By Selling NFT Art for $1 - Decrypt
- Grimes Auctioning Off 10 Pieces of NFT Digital Artwork
- People have spent more than $230 million buying and trading digital collectibles of NBA highlights
- What’s the significance of Bitcoin’s $1 trillion valuation? - Marketplace
- Ripple says it will be sued by the SEC, in what the company calls a parting shot at the crypto industry
- Bitcoin Faces A $600 Billion Catalyst, JPMorgan Strategists Say
- JPMorgan Says MassMutual’s Bitcoin Foray Signals Widening Demand
- The Next Blockchain Megatrend: Financial Asset Tokens
- Avalanche, the latest staking network to launch, already has more than $1 billion staked
- SEC, OCC Issue First Regulatory Clarifications for Stablecoins - CoinDesk
- Philippines' SEC just denounced the top Ethereum dapp as a Ponzi - Decrypt
- Initial Coin Offering (ICO)
- EY Launches Token and Smart Contract Testing Service in Open Beta - CoinDesk
- Morningstar Is Building A Blockchain Bridge To The $117 Trillion Debt Securities Industry
- IKEA in 'World First' Transaction Using Smart Contracts and Licensed E-Money - CoinDesk
- Enterprise Ethereum Alliance’s Reward Token System Backed by Microsoft, Intel
- State-Owned French Bank Joins Bitcoin Startup's $8 Million Series A - CoinDesk
- Arab Bank's Swiss Arm Is Launching Cryptocurrency Services - CoinDesk
- ConsenSys and WWF Roll Out Platform for Transparency in Philanthropy
- First Tokenized IPO Launches on National Stock Exchange - CoinDesk